[OPEN-ILS-DEV] purging objson (legacy json) for opensrf 1.0 / Evergreen 1.4

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Tue Jul 22 23:14:25 EDT 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008 2:38 Dan Scott wrote:
> 2008/7/14 Bill Erickson <erickson at esilibrary.com>:
> > The topic of purging objson, which implements the old-style,
> > comment-embedded class hints for OpenSRF objects came up recently during
> > a discussion of the new autotools infrastructure.  OK, fine, I brought it
> > up.
> >
> > The current objson setup provides support for parsing old-style objects
> > via a separate API call (used in the opensrf gateway) and an
> > implementation of the old jsonObjectIterator API, which changed with the
> > latest JSON code.
> >
> > The original idea for the legacy json layer was that the system may need
> > to support old and new-style JSON objects for Evergreen 1.4.  However, if
> > we are in agreement that there is no need to support old-style JSON
> > objects in Evergreen 1.4, and I'm pretty sure we've passed that bridge
> > already, then the legacy JSON layer seems like an unnecessary layer of
> > complexity that we should just drop.
> >
> > What would it take?
> >
> > 1. The cstore application makes heavy use of the jsonObjectIterator API,
> > which would need to be manually updated to use the new jsonIterator API.
> > The difference there is that the call to next() now returns a jsonObject
> > instead of a the intermediary jsonObjectNode.  Also, instead of accessing
> > the current key through the node, you access it directly on the iterator
> > object.
> >
> > 2. Remove all references to objson on the source/makefiles for Evergreen
> > (only a few remain)
> >
> > 3. Purge objson from OpenSRF autotools and remove osrf_legacy_json* files
> >
> > Sound sane for Evergreen 1.4 and OpenSRF 1.0?
>
> That sounds quite sane to me. The earlier, the better, as far as
> testing before 1.4 goes :)

Attached is a patch to purge objson from the ILS tree.  It ports all of the
cstore jsonObjectIterator calls to the newer jsonIterator and replaces all
objson/object.h references with opensrf/osrf_json.h.

I wanted to push it out to the list since it touches a lot of cstore code and
that's not my usual stomping ground.  This patch is running on
acq.open-ils.org.  So far so good.

If there are no objections, I'll get this committed and start clearing out the
legacy JSON from OpenSRF.

-b

--
Bill Erickson