[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Simplifying Ubuntu install documentation (was: Installing on Ubuntu7.10 - ejabber problem)

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 06:40:56 EDT 2008

2008/7/27 Faiz Ishaq <Faiz at szabist.ac.ae>:
> Hi Dan & Dan,
>
> Good idea! I will be happy to do the testing of the Ubuntu install doc.
> I am looking for a reproducible installation procedure before actually
> deploying Evergreen as a solution. We may start with the new Ubuntu 8.04
> as base since it is a LTS release.

Hi Faiz:

Ubuntu 8.04 will be a little bit of a bit of a challenge as it comes
with PostgreSQL 8.3 - and that is not yet supported with Evergreen
(due primarily to changes in the full text search API). Debian Etch
(4.0) is still the recommended server distribution for Evergreen.

However, if you're comfortable compiling PostgreSQL 8.2 from source,
or installing a backport package, then Ubuntu 8.04 may work for you.
For what it's worth, I do my Evergreen development work on Ubuntu
8.04.

Also note that the xulrunner client in Ubuntu 8.04 is known not to
work properly with Evergreen, so you'll have to use a staff client on
Windows or another version of Linux to connect to Evergreen.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University