[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Fines in Evergreen

Brandon W. Uhlman brandon.uhlman at bclibrary.ca
Mon Jul 28 11:15:30 EDT 2008

Hi, John.

Fines are generated by passing the parameter 1 (for true) to the
OpenSRF function
open-ils.storage.action.circulation.overdue.generate_fines(),
generally referred to as the 'fine generator'.

Fortunately, there's a Perl script that comes with the Evergreen
source distribution that you can just set up as a cron job to do this
on a daily basis. When you run it for the first time, it will 'catch
up' with all the outstanding circulations that should have outstanding
fines on them, but don't yet.

In the source distribution, you can find it at
$EVERGREEN_SOURCE_DIRECTORY/Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/fine_generator.pl. In
the installed system in our cluster, that file ended up in
/openils/bin, but I think it was moved there manually. If you are
running a VMWare image, I can't say what they did with it, since I've
never used the VMWare images.

You can also take a look at the current release's version of the fine
generator in svn --
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/browser/tags/rel_1_2_2_1/Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/fine_generator.pl?rev=9816

Hope this helps!

~B

Quoting John van Rassel <jvanrassel at innisfil.ca>:

> I was wondering if there was a good place to look to figure out how
> fines work?
>
> We are working on getting all of our data to work under Evergreen, and
> this is my next area to tackle.  We have lots of items in the system
> that show overdue, but no fines are being generated.  Is there something
> I have to do to enable the fines?
>
> As always, thanks
>
> John

Brandon W. Uhlman, Systems Consultant