[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Importing marc records from Sirsi

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 12:22:15 EDT 2008

2008/6/2 Robert <glibrarysystem at gmail.com>:
> Hey guys, any news on why the copies or volumes might not have copied over?
> Also, can someone tell me in their experience in importing records what the
> maximum they imported at once? I tried to import a file that had 3500
> records in it over the weekend and it is still running and looks to be hung
> up. Just out of curiosity.

1) The steps listed for the Gutenberg records get bibliographic
records into the system, but no call numbers or copies. That's what
the import_demo package tries to demonstrate:
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS-Contrib/wiki/ImportDemo The approach
in the import_demo takes you through the steps for getting bib records
into the system, then goes beyond that to parse holdings statements
directly from the MARC21XML for the bib records and generates call
numbers and copies to load into the system. This isn't necessarily the
best approach for getting call numbers and copies into your system,
but you're going to have to tailor your approach to the system you're
working with.

2) The most bib records I have imported in a single file is somewhere
around 2 million. This weekend I was importing approximately 360,000
bib records from a single file. Note that you really want to be using
the parallel_pg_loader.pl approach (as demonstrated in import_demo) if
you're working on a system with memory constraints.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University