[OPEN-ILS-DEV] How to add a book(s) and DVDs etc?

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Fri Jun 20 13:39:11 EDT 2008

Charlene,

1) I can't really help with this question. I've not seen that error
message when I've searched OCLC via the Z39.50 gateway. For an incorrect
OCLC login, I usually get the message Server Error: Z3950_LOGIN_FAILED :
The login failed. PINES only imports records from OCLC so I have never
used another Z39.50 target.

2) The first part of you question, I'm afraid I can't answer either. If
it is a problem with how you have input the MARC record, I would need to
see your record in order to determine if that is the problem.

Validation is against an authority file that uses a controlled
vocabulary, such as Library of Congress Subject Headings. If you have
input terms that are not in the authority file, they will not authorize
and will be in red. If you need more information about this process,
please let me know.

3) Book jacket or cover art is usually supplied by a vendor. You can
input urls for online related or accompanying material into a MARC
record using the 856 field. The OCLC Bibliographic formats and Standards
has instructions on how to code and input this field --
http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/8xx/856.shtm

 Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
Library Services Manager - Collections & Reference
Georgia Public Library Service,
A Unit of the University System of Georgia
1800 Century Place, Suite 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304
404.235-7128
404.235-7201, fax