[OPEN-ILS-DEV] PATCH: osrf_system.c (memory leaks)

Scott McKellar mck9 at swbell.net
Sun Mar 16 12:22:52 EDT 2008

This patch frees a couple of jsonObjects allocated by calls to
osrf_settings_host_value_object().

With this post I complete my project of plugging memory leaks.  I
don't pretend to have plugged them all, but in systematically
searching for leaks I have traversed the tree as far as I intend to.

My search consisted of identifying functions that allocate memory, and
looking for a matching deallocation for every allocation (or multiple
deallocations when there are multiple code paths).  The approach does
not detect leaks that result from the overwriting of pointers without
first freeing the previous value of the pointer.  Detecting that kind
of leak would require that I trace the entire previous history of the
pointer, and I am not that ambitious.

There is also some code that I either didn't fix or didn't examine,
for various reasons:

1. Obsolescent code in osrf_legacy_json.c and the objson directory.

2. Calls to third party library functions that may allocate memory,
such as those used to parse XML.  Short of analyzing the third
party code I don't have a good way of identifying the right
functions.

3. Two files that appear to be experimental and/or unused:
osrf_transgroup.c and osrf_big_list.c.

4. osrf_chat_main.c.  It leaks memory, but the leaks occur just
before returning from main(), so fixing them wouldn't accomplish much.

5. basic_client.c, which doesn't compile and is probably obsolete.

Scott McKellar
http://home.swbell.net/mck9/ct/

Developer's Certificate of Origin 1.1 By making a contribution to
this project, I certify that:

(a) The contribution was created in whole or in part by me and I
have the right to submit it under the open source license indicated
in the file; or

(b) The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best
of my knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source license
and I have the right under that license to submit that work with
modifications, whether created in whole or in part by me, under the
same open source license (unless I am permitted to submit under a
different license), as indicated in the file; or

(c) The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person
who certified (a), (b) or (c) and I have not modified it; and

(d) In the case of each of (a), (b), or (c), I understand and agree
that this project and the contribution are public and that a record
of the contribution (including all personal information I submit
with it, including my sign-off) is maintained indefinitely and may
be redistributed consistent with this project or the open source
license indicated in the file.