[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Indexing problem?

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri May 9 20:39:32 EDT 2008

2008/5/9 Jason Etheridge <jason at esilibrary.com>:
> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Bill Ott <bott at grpl.org> wrote:
>> My test database has 360,000+ bib records, and only about 20,000 holdings
>> attached.  When performing a simple keyword search from the staff client I
>> get hundreds or thousands of results in a couple of seconds.  If I limit
>> those to items with holdings or those available, in either the staff client
>> or opac, it takes about 60 seconds to receive any results, if it ever
>> finishes.
>
> Hey Bill, did you figure this one out?
>
>> Any thoughts on where to start looking?
>
> I'd be tempted to turn up postgres logging and watch what is happening there.

You may also want to try staged search rather than classic search.
Check the trunk version of opensrf.xml.example for the
use_staged_search element in the open-ils.search definition. This
works starting with 1.2.2.0, and returns reasonably fast on an abused
old 1.5GB RAM machine with ~400K bibs and a similar number of items.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University