[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Failing to start Evergreen

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 22:23:55 EST 2008

Hi Ephraim:

First, what Linux distribution and version have you tried to install
Evergreen on? And what version of Evergreen have you tried to install?

2008/11/11 Ephraim Makeke <makekee at gmail.com>:
> Hi guys
>
> I do believe Evergreen really hates me.  But i think i am within a
> whisker of lifting my Evergreen system off ground. I
> know starting evergreen is a 3 part process. I am stuck on the second part.
> Quite a lot of errors are appearing.I have pasted them below. Also i have a
> problem with my apache. My /etc/apache2/httpd.conf file is empty. Is it
> supposed to be like that.
>
> My terminal is bringing these errors:
>
> user at eg-server1:~$ su -
> Password:
> root at eg-server1:~# /etc/init.d/ejabberd start
> Starting jabber server: ejabberd already running.
> root at eg-server1:~# /etc/init.d/memcached start
> Starting memcached: memcached is already running.
> memcached.

Once these services have been installed, they start automatically and
you shouldn't need to start them manually after that.

> root at eg-server1:~# sudo su - opensrf
> opensrf at eg-server1:~$ osrf_ctl.sh -c /openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml -a
> start_router
> OpenSRF Router already started :
> /openils/bin/osrf_ctl.sh: line 108: opensrf_router: command not found

This is bad. It sounds like you missed the step where "/openils/bin"
is added to the opensrf user's .bashrc file. This would be part of
step 20 on http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=installing_evergreen_1.2_on_ubuntu_7.10

If you list the contents of /openils/bin ("ls /openils/bin") does it
show that the opensrf_router command is there?

> opensrf at eg-server1:~$ osrf_ctl.sh -c /openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml -a
> start_perl
> OpenSRF Perl already started :
> Can't locate OpenSRF/System.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /openils/lib/perl5
> /openils/lib/perl5 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8
> /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .).
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

Hmm, this is strange. It shows that /openils/lib/perl5 is part of your
$PERl5LIB variable, but it still can't find OpenSRF. Does "ls
/openils/lib/perl5" show an OpenSRF sudbdirectory? I'm wondering if
something went wrong during the installation of OpenSRF.

> opensrf at eg-server1:~$ osrf_ctl.sh -c /openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml -a start_c
> OpenSRF C (host=eg-server1.msu.ac.zw) already started :
> opensrf at eg-server1:~$

As for the "already started" messages for all of these steps, this
typically means that you tried starting the service and the process ID
(PID) was recorded in /openils/var/run (for OpenSRF 1.0) or
/openils/var/pid (I think, for OpenSRF 0.9), but the service might not
have started properly. If you issue a "osrft_ctl.sh -c
/openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml -a stop_all" then it will clean up
these PID files and at least avoid that message.

The contents of the log files in /openils/var/log/ (router.log,
osrfsys.log) would be useful for debugging.

Also, have you tried running settings-tester.pl as the opensrf user?

perl Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/settings-tester.pl

The output of that script would be useful as well.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University