[OPEN-ILS-DEV] problem regarding bulk imporing

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Wed Oct 29 10:35:58 EDT 2008

Hello Vijay,

A few things to note:

1) Last I knew, MARC::File::XML does not support namespace prefixes ("marc: ").  You can tell MarcEdit to leave them out by selecting Tools->Preferences, select the MARCEngine tab, then uncheck "Use Namespace" and apply.

2) If you are not trying to preserve record ids from a previous ILS, you can forget about the 035 field and let marc2bre.pl generate valid ids for your records.  I suggest grabbing the latest version from http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/export/10967/trunk/Open-ILS/src/extras/import/marc2bre.pl , as new code comments help to explain the various options and a few bugs have been fixed.  Basically all the options are optional, so don't over specify things you don't need.  You probably want to try something like:
perl marc2bre.pl --marctype XML sample_marc.xml > sample_marc.bre 2>marc2bre_sample_marc.err
This sort of command should generate usable IDs/TCNs rather than try to preserve them.

3) Finally, you may want to check out the new record importer-exporter being demonstrated tomorrow: "Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/586205887 "

Good luck,
DW