[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Installing 1.4RC1 on Ubuntu 8.04 Server

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Wed Oct 29 14:34:11 EDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:37:23 -0400, Warren Layton
<warren.layton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently installed Evergreen 1.4 RC1 on a fresh install of Ubuntu
> 8.04 Server. Following the instructions on the DokuWiki[1], I ran into
> two minor issues:
>
> 1) Running the Makefile.install attempts to install syslog-ng. This
> itself isn't a problem but it causes the package manager to warn the
> user that syslogd, ksyslogd and ubuntu-minimal will be uninstalled,
> which the package manager doesn't seem to like. I did and "apt-get
> install syslog-ng" before running the Makefile.install and it made
> things a bit less confusing. (I don't think this is specific to Ubuntu
> Server - I seem to remember the same thing happening when I installed
> on Desktop).

Technically speaking, syslog-ng (and ntpdate) are not required for running
Evergreen.  They were just grandfathered in.  Syslong-in in particular
should probably be removed from the Makefile, since choosing a logger is
more of a personal choice.

> 2) After attempting to compile Evergreen in step 5, the "configure"
> script failed because it couldn't find the libdbi libraries and
> installed by the Makefile.install, including the associated pgsql
> driver (Step 5(I)). The solution was to skip ahead to Step 20 and add
> the /etc/ld.so.conf/eg.conf file and run "ldconfig" before doing the
> "configure; make; make install" commands in Step 5 (thanks to the
> friendly people on the Evergreen IRC channel for their help!). This
> certainly wasn't an issue when I had previously installed Evergreen on
> Ubuntu 8.04 desktop.

I'm guessing this will be the same for all fresh 1.4 installs, because of
the new autotools infrastructure.

> With these two changes to the install procedure, everything was up and
> running in record time. If these two changes are sane, I'd be happy to
> update the instructions on the DokuWiki.

Updating the wiki for #2 would be great.

-b

--
Bill Erickson