[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Release process & QA thoughts

Warren Layton warren.layton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 07:21:24 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to put forward a suggestion that no major release (x.y.0
> in the case of OpenSRF or x.y.z.0 in the case of Evergreen) should
> ever go out without at least one release candidate.

Yes please! I'm one of those people that enjoys grabbing the latest release
candidate, giving it a spin, and, if possible, providing a bit of feedback.

> I would also like to propose more open communication about upcoming
> releases on the -dev list to help coordinate efforts.

I like this idea as well. I know the core developers are on IRC and that
chatting is a very efficient way for them to coordinate their efforts.
However, the -dev list could be used to give keen non-core people some clues
about how the release is coming along and when it is expected to land. At
the very least, it's quicker and easier to get this type of info by browsing
through mail archives than scanning through IRC logs.

Cheers,
  Warren