[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Z39.50 target

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 16:46:14 EDT 2008

Just to follow up on this thread...

2008/6/2 Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com>:
> 2008/5/26 Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> The EG installer makefile will handle this for you:
>>>
>>> http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/browser/trunk/Open-ILS/src/extras/Makefile.install
>>>
>>> $ make -f Makefile.install install_yaz
>>>

>> Heh ... unfortunately Net::Z3950::Simple2ZOOM says:
>>
>> *** ERROR!
>> Simple2ZOOM requires at least version 3.0.10 of YAZ,
>> but you only have version 2.1.18.
>>
>> and the makefile specifies yaz-2.1.56.  I am unsure if 3.x will cause
>> any other problems, though.  First thing that comes to mind is the
>> Net::ZOOM implementation for remote Z targets.
>
> As we kicked around on IRC, the least disruptive method in the short
> term may be to run Simple2ZOOM on a separate server (on which you can
> install the latest version of YAZ without worrying about impacting the
> version used by Evergreen). And then point that at the SRU target
> running on the Evergreen server. If you try this out and it works,
> please let the list know (and document your steps!).

I've been running yaz 3.0.34 on one of our trunk OpenSRF/trunk
Evergreen servers with no discernible problems thus far, so last night
I decided to take the plunge and test out and document the
Simple2ZOOM-over-SRU server approach for providing a Z39.50 server. It
turns out that it's not difficult at all.

http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:sru_and_z39.50

(I could do a better job documenting this now that I've got a little
more experience with SRU and CQL under my belt).

And I'll note again that you don't _have_ to have yaz 3.0.34 running
on your Evergreen server and have everything running on a single box.
Simple2ZOOM worked quite happily running on my laptop pointing to the
dev.gapines.org server.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University