[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Re: SHA1 code in sha.c

Scott McKellar mck9 at swbell.net
Mon Dec 21 17:29:29 EST 2009

--- On Mon, 12/21/09, Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mvlc.org> wrote:
> Why reinvent the wheel? Why not just
> farm the work out to libcrypto? Last I checked OpenSSL
> typically has a SHA1 implementation that you don't have to
> fiddle with.
>
> Jason

I have no intention of reinventing any wheels.  I did a quick Google and
saw the OpenSSL project among others.  What I don't know is how portable
they are.  The ones I looked at so far don't say very much on their
websites about architectures, int sizes, endianness, or other aspects of
portability.  I'd rather not have to decipher a dozen different
implementations of an algorithm I don't understand in order to figure
out which ones are better than what we've got.

If anybody already knows of a suitable implementation, or knows of one
that we should avoid, you may be able to save me some time.

Scott McKellar