[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen logging question

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Wed Feb 18 09:08:17 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Dale Arntson <arnt at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Is there a way to set the format of individual evergreen logs? I want to be
> able to assign a timestamp to each entry so that I can associate entries
> with actions. This would make debugging easier and posting to the list more
> focused.

Hi Dale,

For the best control of log message, I'd recommend using syslog.  The
default log format includes time information, but using syslog will allow
you to alter the format to suit your needs.

With syslog-ng, you can do things like:

file("/var/log/remote/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/activity.log",
    template("$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY $HOUR:$MIN:$SEC $HOST $MSG\n")

Hope this helps,

-b

--
Bill Erickson