[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Proposal: Versioned Add-on Packages

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Fri Feb 20 06:30:56 EST 2009

Mike Rylander wrote:
> To help address these issues, I propose we institute a versioning and
> installation convention and process for adding extensions to
> Evergreen, so that upgrades can be handled in a less chaotic manner
> and we can help extension developers (of which I am, of course, one)
> avoid some pain.

This sounds like a great idea to me.  I'm not a developer,
but I know about the importance of using versioning and
standard conventions.

I'd also like to see all the installation instructions adhere
to the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard which can be found
at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html.  Chapter 2
is a quick read that explains what it is about.

Not only will this make it easier for developers, it will
make it easier for Evergreen to be adapted by distributions
and organizations that require the Linux Standard Base.