[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Fwd: Local System Admin. - Library Settings

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Sun Feb 22 11:10:00 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:38 PM, John Fink <john.fink at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> [...]

Library Settings seems more staff friendly. However, Organization Unit is
more.. correct, since settings can be applied at all levels of the
organizational hierarchy, many of which would not be called a "library".
For what it's worth, from the developer perspective, we generally use
Organization Unit.  From the staff perspective, is it better to be friendly
or correct?

> Proceeding to the function - Change reshelving status interval (not
> inherited from the parent org unit at run time) - the Context drop-down
> list box is empty. This is most likely affecting the ability to edit
> and save changes to values.
>

> Also, the Value field can accept units like seconds, hours, and day.
> Where are the units entered?

For intervals, the text is all entered into the value field.  "2 hours", "5
years", etc.

> What needs to be done to enable the desired functionality?

This is a permission issue.  In Evergreen 1.4, org unit settings permissions
are granular, so staff can be given the permission to change individual
settings at different levels of the org hierarchy.  The permission names
look like UPDATE_ORG_UNIT_SETTING.<setting_name>.  In this example, the
permission is "UPDATE_ORG_UNIT_SETTING.circ.reshelving_complete.interval"

Permissions for org unit settings are not automatically created at install
time (which will be remedied), which means the permission will have to be
created before it can be applied.

> Thanks for any input.
>
> Betty

Thanks, Betty.