[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Could not determine version of PostgreSQL error

Demas, Christopher D cddemas at NortheastState.edu
Fri Feb 27 08:54:16 EST 2009

Hello all -

We need some help.  We are trying to install evergreen and we got to
Section III number 4 on the instructions
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=server:1.4.0:install

*  As the root user, create the database schema and configure your
system with the corresponding database authentication details for the
database user that you just created; on most systems, <hostname> will be
localhost and <port> will be 5432:

cd /home/opensrf/Evergreen-ILS-1.4.0.2

perl Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/eg_db_config.pl --update-config \

       --service all --create-schema --create-bootstrap --create-offline
\

<port> \

       --database <dbname>

We did this and got the following error:

root at ubuntu:/home/opensrf/Evergreen-ILS-1.4.0.2# perl
Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/eg_db_config.pl --update-config \ --service
all --create-schema --create-bootstrap --create-offline \ --user
evergreen --password evergreen --hostname localhost --port 5432 \
--database evergreen
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/eg_db_config.pl line 64.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/eg_db_config.pl line 64.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/eg_db_config.pl line 64.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/eg_db_config.pl line 64.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/eg_db_config.pl line 64.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/eg_db_config.pl line 64.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/eg_db_config.pl line 64.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/eg_db_config.pl line 64.
Backed up original configuration file to
'/openils/conf/opensrf.xml.2009.2.26.14.44.50'
psql: FATAL:  no PostgreSQL user name specified in startup packet
********
* Could not determine the version of PostgreSQL you have installed.  Our
best  *
* guess was:
*
*
* which didn't make any sense.  For assistance, please email
*
* open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org or join #OpenILS-Evergreen
on the *
* freenode IRC network.
*
********
Writing database bootstrapping configuration to
/openils/conf/live-db-setup.pl
Writing offline database configuration to
/openils/conf/offline-config.pl

We have PostgreSQL 8.2.12 installed and it's running so I'm confused.
Any assistance anyone can give would be great.  I'm running on Ubuntu
8.10. and I'm a newbie.  Thanks.

Chris