[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Running constrictor against evergreen 1.2.4.0/opensrf 0.9

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Tue Jan 20 11:31:43 EST 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:23:46 -0500, Ed Barrett <ebarrett at tadl.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've been having issues with our off-site installation of Evergreen
> (1.2.4.0) that we have so far been unsuccessful in tracking down to root
> causes.  Rather than trying to compile anecdotes about when any
> particular transaction appeared to take longer than usual, we're trying
> to come up with something that would allow us to make periodic,
> non-intrusive calls to the server and time the results, hopefully
> pointing to a bottleneck somewhere along the route between us and our
> server.  I posed this question on #openils-evergreen, and was pointed at
> the Constrictor tool
> <http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS-Contrib/wiki/Constrictor>, which
> sounds like exactly what we need.  However, upon installing and running
> it, I have learned that it's written for a later version of the software
> than what we are currently running.  I have not been successful in
> making changes to it that allow it to work in our situation.  So, if not
> Constrictor, what *are* people using to, for example, measure how long
> it takes to check a book out, or look up a patron barcode?  What are
> people using to correlate that sort of information with what's happening
> on their network at the time?
>
> My gut reaction is to create a set of tests in Nagios (what that test
> would do, I don't know yet) that would also produce data that I could
> graph with rrdtool and correlate with graphs from smokeping.  That's
> very high-level though, and I'm not sure it would tell me what I want to
> know.

Hi Ed,

Constrictor used to work with Evergreen 1.2 servers, given a certain
configuration (using the Evergreen 1.4/Opensrf 1.0 Python libs).  It's
possible, though, that the code has drifted enough so that it is no longer
possible.  I'd be interested to see what types of errors you are seeing.
(Sorry I missed you in IRC...)

If you are comforable with Perl, there are some test scripts in the
repository you can try:

http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/browser/branches/rel_1_2/Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/test-scripts/

In particular, the checkout.pl script will perform checkouts, checkins,
and renewals and time the results.

$ ./checkout.pl <config> <staff_login> <staff_pw> <patron_id>
<copy_barcode> <action>

For example:

$ ./checkout.pl <config> <staff_login> <staff_pw> <patron_id>
<copy_barcode> <action>

$ ./checkout.pl /openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml admin open-ils 1 123456789
checkout
$ ./checkout.pl /openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml admin open-ils 1 123456789
renew
$ ./checkout.pl /openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml admin open-ils 1 123456789
renew
$ ./checkout.pl /openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml admin open-ils 1 123456789
checkin

If nothing else, this might give you some clues for building other test
scripts.

Hope this helps,

-b

--