[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Apache error

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 12:59:16 EST 2009

Hi George:

2009/1/21 Duimovich, George <George.Duimovich at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca>:
> I couldn't find any reference to this but wonder if anybody has any thoughts
> on how to fix.
>
> Running ver 1.4RC2
>
> Call up the default search screen and get this Error message: "OK The server
> encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete
> your request. " etc.
>
> Some observations
> - Apache is running ok, able to confirm with other local site (vuFind).
> - settings-tester.pl reports all is ok
> - some apache error.log snips below
>
> Snips from error.log
> ---------------------------
> [Wed Jan 21 11:51:13 2009] [error] [client <my ip removed> ] XMLENT XML
> Parse Error: syntax error at line 1: parsing
> /openils/var/web/opac/skin/default/xml/index.xml: data [an error occurred
> while processing this directive]

> [Wed Jan 21 11:51:13 2009] [debug] core.c(3748): [client <my ip removed> ]
> (500)Unknown error 500: default_handler: ap_pass_brigade returned 500
>
>> [Wed Jan 21 11:51:14 2009] [error] [client <my ip removed> ] XMLENT XML
> Parse Error: mismatched tag at line 1108: parsing
> /openils/var/web/opac/skin/default/xml/home/index_body.xml: data
> \n</body>\n\n\n
>
> ---------------------------
>
> I have not made any modifications to index.xml & index_body.xml, etc.

This kind of error usually means that an entity is missing from
/openils/var/web/opac/locale/<LOCALE>/opac.dtd

If you're looking at the en-US OPAC, then there should be no missing
entities. One tricky source of errors is that when mod_deflate is
enabled, files like the DTD file can be gzip-compressed but mod_xmlent
doesn't know how to decompress the file before substituting the
entities. So I would start by trying to disable mod_deflate, then
force-reload Apache and try again:

As root:

a2dismod deflate
/etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload

You may also need to clear your browser cache.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University