[OPEN-ILS-DEV] RIS SuperCat Feed

Warren Layton warren.layton at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 22:38:03 EDT 2009

I've put together another SuperCat feed, this type for the RIS format.
This can be used with most bibliographic citation software, such as
Reference Manager and Endnote. Combined with the previous "MARC text"
feed for RefWorks, most software should be covered.

I have only included the changes to add the feed and the XSLT file.
The patch (against trunk) doesn't include any changes to the OPAC, but
I'm willing to put something together if needed.

The MARC21slim2RIS.xsl transform makes a few assumptions:
* Any authors listed in 100, 110, or 111 fields are considered
"primary authors" (A1)
* Any individuals listed in 700 fields are considered primary authors
(A1) if their last name is found in the statement of responsibility
(245c). Otherwise, they are considered secondary authors (A2). It's
not 100% accurate, but it's certainly a step up from just turning all
700-level authors into A2s.
* Corporate authors listed in 710 fields are always considered
secondary authors (A2).
* Meetings in 711 fields are always converted into "Title Series" (T3)
(i.e., a talk at a conference would have the conference name listed as
the "Title Series", with the title of the talk listed as "T1", primary
title).
* Apart from field 520 (used for Abstracts, "N2"), no 5xx fields are used
* Subfields in the 650 and 651 fields are used as keywords ("KW")

Let me know any changes need to be made, or if you have any
suggestions on my approach to converting MARC to RIS.

Cheers!
  Warren Layton