[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Authentication using Evergreen credentials

Niles Ingalls nilesi at zionsville.lib.in.us
Wed Jul 22 16:01:55 EDT 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 3:14 PM, J. Benjamin Dudley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m currently working on a script that will allow patrons to access
> our wireless access points AFTER they use their Evergreen login and
> password.
>
> So far, I’ve got it so that a user can be authenticated, but for
> logging/security purposes, I would like to also be able to have
> their name recorded and library card number as well (although some
> users may login with their barcode, others can login with their OPAC
> username…I still want to have a record of their barcode).
>
> I’ve modified the PHP script at http://drupalib.interoperating.info/ilsauthen
>  so that it runs separate from drupal.
>
> Is there a way to also gather the patron’s name & barcode in the
> same manner?
>

> Thanks!
> Benjamin Dudley

Hello Benjamin,

We are using pfSense (www.pfsense.com) for our wireless captive portal
against our Evergreen Consortia using SIP2.  I'm logging library card
#'s, date/time, IP, and mac address by default and adding more
information would be trivial.  You're welcome to splice & dice my code
for your purpose, but I'd highly recommend taking a look at pfSense
for this task.  You can set timeouts, and block users with fines.
The code is still a work in progress, but it's completely functional.
pfSense has it's own logging facility for captive portal that I'm
building upon for statistics.
http://www.zionsville.lib.in.us/media/niles/pfsense_sip2_mod_v-001.tar.gz
should work fine with 1.2-RELEASE and 1.2.2

Niles Ingalls
UNIX & Web Administrator
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library
250 N. Fifth Street
P.O. Box 840
Zionsville, IN. 46077

Phone   317-873-3149 x13280
Fax     317-873-8339

"Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem." -
Woody Allen