[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Circulation Menu in the Staff Client

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Wed Jun 17 23:33:47 EDT 2009

> Sure! I think that's what it is, actually, but I don't have a staff client in front of me at the moment, so I can't be sure.

This is what we have:

Search -> Search for Patrons
Search -> Search for patron by Barcode
Circulation -> Check Out Items
Circulation -> Retrieve Patron by Barcode

The last 3 have identical behavior and aren't really searches at all,
in the sense that they directly retrieve patrons based on an exact
barcode.  Function 1 will also load that interface.  Function 4 will
load the multi-field patron search interface.  For the ultimate in
non-redundancy, you might want something like this instead:

Search -> Search for Patrons
Circulation -> Check Out Items / Retrieve Patron by Barcode

I don't know if there are any aesthetic or usability issues with long
labels for menu entries, though. :)

In 1.6, there is an extra barcode field in the Patron Search interface
which actually is a search; you can enter a partial barcode and get a
list of patrons back, and you can combine it with other fields.

There's also an optional button/icon bar in 1.6 below the menu bar
that can spawn both interfaces.

--
Jason Etheridge