[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Translation of Language Names et al.

Betty Ing ingbe at mcmaster.ca
Thu Mar 5 09:15:30 EST 2009

Hello,

I am working on the English-to-German translation and am having some
difficulty finding correct translations of the many different languages
in the db.seed.po file. I looked briefly in the cs_CZ version of this
file and saw that some language names in the Translation column were
identical to those in the Original String column. How have others
handled this situation?

In some translation best practices, I have seen a suggestion that the
language name be translated only into the language of the language
name. For example, "German" would not appear on the English OPAC for
language selection, rather "Deutsch" would appear on the English OPAC.
Since switching from English to German would most likely be for users
who have a command of both English and German, this solution seems
reasonable.

I am assuming that only language pairs that have sufficient material
translated will be posted, in which case language names without any
translated documentation would not need their language name translated
into any other language for posting purposes. Is this correct? Where
can I access info on how the original strings are extracted and
translations inserted? Is it dojo?

Danke!

Betty
Project Conifer