[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Translation of Language Names et al.

Shawn Boyette sboyette at esilibrary.com
Thu Mar 5 10:02:23 EST 2009

Mike Rylander wrote:

> As for what is best, I don't have a strong opinion because I am quite
> unilingual, but I will say that I would personally prefer to see the
> English name of languages displayed when I'm in the English interface.
>  Though my reasoning for that is selfish -- I just want to know what's
> available, for curiosity and testing.

I think in a public terminal setting, the right thing to do is to
display language names as natively as possible -- it is impossible to
know what languages the next person to come along will speak.

And, playing devil's advocate, what if you, monolingual English speaker,
sat down where someone had just been using the Japanese interface? How
would you know to pick 英語? :)

--
Shawn Boyette
<sboyette at esilibrary.com>