[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Translation of Language Names et al.

Betty Ing ingbe at mcmaster.ca
Thu Mar 5 13:20:32 EST 2009

Proceeding on the path that we "display language names as natively as
possible," if we cannot find the native equivalent of a particular
source language name, is it preferable to leave the Translation column
empty or to copy what was in the Source Language column?

Also, where is our list of language names coming from? Would there be
existing translations somewhere since W3C has given guidance in this
direction? For example, the EU languages would be relatively easy to
find, but we have languages like Duala, spoken in Cameroon, which are
not necessarily national languages...

It comes down to the question of where to find references for
translating these lesser known language names.

Betty