[OPEN-ILS-DEV] [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Thanks UPEI! Google Book Preview patch integrated into trunk

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 11:50:38 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/03/2009, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > Hello:
>>  >
>>  > Thanks to Alexander O'Neill and the University of Prince Edward Island
>>  > for posting their patch for integrating the Google Book Preview
>>  > feature directly into the record details page and making the code
>>  > available under the GPL v2.
>>  >
>>

>> Cool.  Thanks UPEI and Dan!
>>

>>  > I just committed a variation of the patch to Evergreen trunk
>>  > (http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/changeset/12465) - it needs a bit of
>>  > internationalization work before it's ready for prime-time, but it is
>>  > a great feature.
>>

>> I think it'll need more than just I18n, unfortunately.  It's currently
>>  set up to blow away the excerpt added content that other AC modules
>>  provide,
>
> I don't remember seeing any excerpts provided by Syndetics so far - if
> they do provide excerpts, perhaps they are few and far between for
> academic content at least - which is why I wasn't worried about the
> blowing away behaviour. But you're right, I'll create a "Preview" tab
> that we could potentially use to layer in a progressive manner by
> pulling from multiple sources: Amazon, OpenLibrary, whatever contracts
> we might have with full-text providers, etc in an Umlaut-like fashion.

Ahh, yeah, it's mostly for fiction stuff, which is obviously more
public library focused.

>> and is pretty generic in the naming of it's product specific
>>  variables (jsonScript, etc).  I think it needs (and deserves) its own
>>  tab (GBSPreview, perhaps?) and less easily stomped vars.
>
> Will do. For now, I'll create a generic "Preview" tab and at least
> namespace the vars.
>
>> Also,
>>  there's already a flag to control other uses of the GBS api (the
>>  "browse in google book search" links on the result list page and on
>>  the detail page (should probably go away now?)) that should make use
>>  of here, I think.
>
> I'm aware of the existing Google books flag. We turned it off in our
> Laurentian skin because we found that it clutters the results page,
> leads users away from the catalogue, and doesn't discern between
> levels of content available to the viewer (often leading users to a
> largely empty page). If we do keep the results-level GBS we would want
> separate flags to control the visibility of these separate features.
> And probably a more obvious, centralized place to turn various
> features on or off (opac_config.js?).
>
> But I would personally be in favour of getting rid of the hits-list
> GBS links, at least as currently implemented.

Or having it off by default until it can distinguish between different
service levels, and maybe have a switch per service level.

>>  I can take a look at that some time if others are not inclined.  In
>>  trac as: http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/ticket/50 .
>
> Note that I was aware of most of these issues. But I wanted to get
> this into trunk because it has been 6 months since UPEI posted their
> patches, and we like the basic approach here... and it's trunk, so we
> can hash it out a bit.
>
> I'll take #50, it's well within my capabilities. Trade you for #43
> ("Default display of copies is broken with deep org_unit
> hierarchies").

I see Bill has poked at it.  I will look too.

> Thanks for the quick feedback, Mike - it is very much appreciated.

NP.  I'm here to complain ... er ... serve. ;)