[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Postgresql Load Speed

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Tue May 5 11:05:38 EDT 2009

Hello all,

Well, summer is almost here, and in the academic world, that means more time for side projects like Evergreen :)  After failing in years past for various reasons, we are determined to load our entire catalog into Evergreen in order to get a realistic evaluation environment.

Having been mostly out of the loop for the last nine months, I am happy to note that the overall setup process has been much improved and went quite smoothly.  The data load however, has basically stalled.  While there has not been any errors, the data (around 1 million records) has been loading for close to four days now.

So, here are my questions:

1) Is there any way to see the progress of the load?  It is currently executing the SQL statements, and has been since Saturday.

2) Is this process memory bound or disk bound?  (It doesn't seem to be stressing the CPU)

3) Are there any triggers or indexes which can be disabled to speed things up?  (other than materialized_simple_record)

4) Past threads suggest increasing shared_buffers and/or work_mem.  Anyone care to suggest some values for these?  Are there any other config setting to carefully look at?

Please answer whichever question you feel is most relevant.

Thanks for any help,
DW