[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feature request - MARC editor

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Fri May 15 03:47:00 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Duimovich, George
<George.Duimovich at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca> wrote:
> Any plans in the works to support some tooltips on the fixed length fields
> described here: http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/fixedfield/ and used in
> Mnemonic form in the MARC editor (similar to the tooltips offered in the
> variable length fields)?

Hi George,

Hrmm, Mike and Dan had the most hand with this particular interface.
For plain tooltips, it looks like we could just annotate the file
marcedit.xul with entities from lang.dtd.

For example,

Change

<label name="Type" set="BKS SER VIS MIX MAP SCO REC COM" value="Type"
onclick="this.nextSibling.focus(); this.nextSibling.select();"/>

to be

<label name="Type" tooltip="&marcedit.fixed_field.type.tooltip;"
set="BKS SER VIS MIX MAP SCO REC COM" value="Type"
onclick="this.nextSibling.focus(); this.nextSibling.select();"/>

And in lang.dtd, make sure there is an entity like this:

<!ENTITY marcedit.fixed_field.type.tooltip "Type of Record">

Just a lot of grunt work, but simple enough for anyone who wants to
volunteer (and assuming that transcribing such snippets is fair use or
comes from a public domain source).

> Our cataloguers would also be interested in having some dropdown lookups for
> some of the key / mandatory fields like Type, BLvl, etc.

For that I'd have to punt.  It looks like they're using
marcedit-tooltips.xml for similar things, but I'm not sure how you
would best adapt it.

--
Jason Etheridge