[OPEN-ILS-DEV] AUTO-GENERATED

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed May 27 09:13:43 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Grant Johnson <fgjohnson at upei.ca> wrote:
> Thanks Bill,
> How might I change that to UPEI or something?

You could issue:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION biblio.next_autogen_tcn_value () RETURNS
TEXT AS $$BEGIN RETURN 'UPEI-' ||
nextval('biblio.autogen_tcn_value_seq'::TEXT); END;

in psql.

That stored procedure is used when there is no non-colliding TCN
candidate in the record, and (hopefully!) no cadidate TCNs are in the
form of "AUTOGENERATED-{number}".  Have you found a case where they
are, and you can't spot your own autogenerated tcns?  As long as the
prefix is stable, and no one else is using it, any value is equivalent
-- UPEI and AUTOGENERATED serve the same purpose.  I'm just concerned
about db-level (essentially) aesthetic changes that could potentially
cause upgrade pain.

--miker