[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Re: Add feature - OPAC - display Call number next to brief record on first page

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Mon Nov 2 19:36:30 EST 2009

The problem of how to handle a huge number of items when displaying on
brief results is not new - it might be helpful to look at how other ILS
systems have resolved that problem for design ideas. I like what III
does, which is to display up to 3 and if there are more than 3, include
a note below the holdings table that says "there are additional
copies/volumes of this item".

Also, this is important enough to us that I wouldn't want to see the
perfect solution delay a good improvement too long.

I like Dan's asterisked list, except for wanting to display up to 3
instead of none if there are multiple available items.

However, I don't know how we can agree to handle "not real call
numbers" as there isn't going to be any standard convention across ILSs
as to what constitutes a fake call number to be detected in code.
Each institution will have to add its own custom "IF" statement to
handle its own fake call numbers. Maybe the code can include a generic
placeholder IF that can include regexp patterns or something like that.

Since we aren't using the serials module, I can't speak to that
problem, but I don't see why it is a problem once you solve the dummy
copy issue. I expect it would be the same as I expect will happen with
our ebook records and all the rest of our transcendent records - you
won't see any holdings on the brief screen, but have to go to the full
record like we do now. This is a perfect example of what I meant at the
beginning - let's not let working out how to perfectly handle these
cases prevent us from getting a timely way to display the holdings for
the traditional print items.

Melissa

---
Melissa Belvadi
Emerging Technologies & Metadata Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca
902-566-0581

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 12:43 -0300, Melissa Belvadi wrote:
> This is also high on our dev list. We would like not just the call
> number but also location and status, so patrons don't waste time
> looking on the wrong set of shelves, or for a book that's checked
out.

> It would be nice if the Call number in the OPAC could be displayed
> with the brief record rather then having to click again on the title
> to get it in the full record display.
>
> Some of our users have commented on this.

I've had the same request here, and it gets a little complex once you
start thinking about bib records that have multiple volumes (each with
their own call number) attached. Windsor, for example, has serials
with
thousands of volumes attached.

Even if you don't individually catalogue each issue of a serial as a
separate volume (we don't), this gets more complex once your search
scope is broadened to include multiple libraries, increasing the
chance
that you hit this situation.

It has been suggested to me that we simply display the first call
number / location / status of the complete set of call numbers, but
that's how our previous catalogue operated and it was rather
deceptive;
there may very well have been an available item, but it wasn't visible
on the search results page - only an "UNAVAILABLE" status was shown
for
the first call number - so people ended up turning away from that.

Perhaps we could work towards something like:
  * Check to see how many items are attached to a given bib record; if
only one, then we can display call number / location / status of that
particular item. Done.
  * For those records that have multiple items attached, we could
iterate through all of the items applicable at our given search scope
    * If only one item is available, display call number / location /
status, noting that other items exist but are not available
    * If more than one item is available, bubble the "x items are
available" status up to the surface - but force the user to click
through to see the summary copy listing

We also need to take into account bib records that might have content
available but which don't have real call numbers - for example,
electronic resources that just have ##URI## as a call number; or bib
records for serials that just have MFHD records attached, which have a
call number but no copies (right now we need a dummy copy attached to
make serials visible in search, but I'm planning to work towards
eliminating that requirement).

So... it's a problem that seems very simple on the surface, but needs
some thought put into it. And then some work. Other thoughts would be
appreciated!