[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Upgrade and install questions

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Nov 20 15:57:57 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 15:23 -0500, Soulliere, Robert wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was updating the upgrade instructions and I just wanted a few clarifications:
>
> 1) When upgrading to 1.6: before running the database upgrade script at step 5, we recommend backing up the database. Now, I have been assuming that only a data dump of the Evergreen database would be required to be secure before running the sql script. However, Roma mentioned that the original instructions mentioned backing up the postgres user directory. Is that required or only the database dump as I have assumed?
>
> 2) In the past, Dan seemed to indicate that the Karmic Koala version of Ubuntu was supported and had targets set up in the makefile.install files and that this would be made part of trunk. (See: http://www.mail-archive.com/open-ils-dev@list.georgialibraries.org/msg03673.html). However, In recent testing the Karmic targets seemed to be missing from the Makefile.install in the 1.2 version of OpenSRF. Could you verify if Karmic is officially supported and still working or did the beta version break stuff? It would be great to add the Karmic target references in the upgrade and install instructions.
>
> 3) Ejabberd issues: I was wondering if the Ejabberd issue as discussed here: http://list.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-dev/2009-July/004888.html has been resolved and for which versions of Ejabberd? Is a downgrade required to get OpenSRF to work or did the patch fix? I was testing on my home machine with Ejabberd 2.0.5.1.1 and am getting the errors discussed in the thread.  Do I have to downgrade? If so, what is the best way to downgrade from 2.0.5.11? It might be good to have precise instructions for this somewhere in the install documentation.

On 1, I'm not sure why you would want to back up the postgres user
directory. I took a quick look at old revisions of that wiki page and
didn't see anything mentioning that.

On 2 and 3, the Karmic target and the referenced ejabberd bug fix were
only in OpenSRF trunk. We haven't had an OpenSRF release for 4 months,
so there's a lot of pent-up bug fixes and enhancements sitting in trunk
right now.

I just backported the Karmic target, and Bill Erickson's fixes for the
ejabberd current version problem, to the rel_1_2 branch. In general, we
haven't been particularly good at backporting bug fixes from trunk to
the next release branch.