[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** ***SPAM*** Re: possible staff client changes--holds pull lists, patron summary sidebar , checkout due date entry, and billing interface (with screenshots)

Brandon W. Uhlman brandon.uhlman at bclibrary.ca
Wed Oct 21 19:46:04 EDT 2009

Hi, Thomas.

As Mike says below, in Evergreen, a copy is only assigned to fulfill a
specific hold at the time of capture, not at the time of targeting. In
many of our libraries, pick lists are printed at the beginning of the
day as a routine start-up item and items are only pulled by staff
later in the day.

Let's consider a theoretical example in PINES, since I notice you're
from a PINES member library. Your pick list could have a targeted hold
from a patron at another PINES library -- let's say Uncle Remus
Regional Library, just because I think that's a great name for a
library -- for one of your items -- say, 'The Handmaid's Tale' by
Margaret Atwood -- because their local copies are all on loan.

Between the time that you print your list, and pull the Handmaid's
Tale from the shelf and capture the hold, one of the Uncle Remus
copies of the book has been returned at Uncle Remus, and was
opportunistically captured at that time, and immediately sent to the
local holds shelf for pickup, and therefore, your copy is no longer
needed for the Uncle Remus patron.

That's why the holds slip is the authoritative source for who the hold
is issued to. At capture time, we can consider whether the hold is
still required for whoever it was needed for at the time the list was
printed, and if it's not required for that person, it will
automatically get assigned to the next person on the list (in roughly
date order).

Does that make sense?

Brandon Uhlman
BC Sitka