[OPEN-ILS-DEV] SirsiDynix: Integrated Library System Platforms on Open Source

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 10:51:28 EDT 2009

"To convert to an open source option like Evergreen or Koha using
vendors like Equinox or LibLime the library must start over with
conversions and implementations, usually paying another vendor or
consultant to accomplish these. As open source companies assert, it is
free like kittens, not free like beer."

"When we compare where we are today with proprietary platforms versus
where we are with open source systems the development priorities for
Evergreen and Koha are the same priorities that SirsiDynix had in the
1980s. How many years will it take for them to achieve a full feature
set, if ever?"

"Proprietary software has more features. Period. Proprietary software
is much more user-friendly. SirsiDynix has been building this ILS for
more than 30 years..."

"In fact, several library systems in Georgia have declined the use of
the Evergreen system specifically due to scalability and response
times. One tester of that system wrote, “Slow response time in
Evergreen Staff Client. This includes unexpected "crashes" and
"frozen" screens which may or may not be due to response time lag."

Download the PDF at:
http://stephenslighthouse.sirsidynix.com/archives/2009/10/its_about_a_res.html

Rayson