[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Apache conf improvements

Joe Atzberger atz at esilibrary.com
Wed Sep 2 17:50:56 EDT 2009

Dan Scott wrote:
> On 02/09/2009, Joe Atzberger <atz at esilibrary.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not trying to make the decision whether SSL is required for
>> Evergreen or not.  In fact, I explicitly added to the documentation:
>>
>>     a2enmod ssl        # enable mod_ssl
>>
> If I recall correctly, that step is already in Makefile.install - and
> to date, anything that can be automated easily goes into
> Makefile.install and is not part of the distro-specific wiki
> directions (http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=server:1.4.0:install).

Yeah, and if I can get to it, I'll also be touching that to prevent that
step from crashing on Debian etch, as it did during my initial
attempts.  Among other things, we apparently need to force install of
Yaz, at least until indexdata fixes or forgoes a dependence on their
remote test server (and your open firewall allowing access to it).  More
notably, the package libuuid-perl isn't available in etch (or in my
backports apt source).  I had to cpan B/BR/BRAAM/UUID-0.02.tar.gz
explicitly.  Lacking that also crashed apache, due to the startup script.

Also need to add "a2enmod xmlent", but at a later point after that
EG-specific piece is compiled and available, before the apache restart.

In general, I think we need at least one end-to-end install document.
It doesn't matter for what platform.  Any distro-specific docs can
replicate it, or be more of a "diff", saying effectively "Do steps 1-6
from the main doc.  For step 7, do xxxx."  We also need a chart of what
OpenSRF versions are compatible with what versions of EG.

And the start/stop controls for router and others could be more
bulletproofy.  I'll stop now....
> All that (mostly blather) said, welcome to the Evergreen community
> Joe! It's fabulous to have you on board; I'm sure your energy &
> attention to detail will be a great boon to the project!

Thanks, I'm happy to be here!