[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Trying to figure out importing records

Anne Andres Anne.Andres at columbiabc.edu
Fri Sep 4 11:03:36 EDT 2009

This is what we did for importing records from BookWhere or a similar
copy cataloguing tool.
First download your records and save to a file, and then upload to
Evergreen using the MARC Batch Import/Export
See below.

BOOKWHERE DOWNLOADS
(Evergreen Uploads)

Downloading from Bookwhere:

1.      Highlight all records to be saved in Bookwhere (hold 'SHIFT'
key, and arrow up or down).

2.      Click on 'FILE EXPORT' (blue icon at top of screen)

3.      Save in: C: Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared
Documents\Bookwhere\Session Files

4.      File name: EXPORT 1 - choose a new number for every 10 items
(e.g. EXPORT 2, EXPORT 3.....)

a.      Save type as MARC Format
b.      Save
c.      'OK'

Uploading to Evergreen:

1.      Select 'Cataloguing' tab at top of screen

2.      Scroll down and select 'MARC Batch Import/Export' (see example
on following page) - there is a short delay

a.      Record Type - Bibliographic Records
b.      Create a new upload Queue 'Export 1' or Add to an Existing
Queue.
c.      Auto-Import Non-Colliding Records - leave blank
d.      Select a Record Source - 'System Local'
e.      Browse for file (C: Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared
Documents\Bookwhere\Session Files\EXPORT 1)
f.      Select 'EXPORT 1'
g.      Click 'Open'
h.      Click 'Upload'

3.      Select records for import by checking the box in front of the
record.
a.      Go to 'Actions' box' and choose 'Import selected' or 'Import
all' from the drop-down screen

4.      Records are now imported into Evergreen!

5.      Delete Export 1 file when export is complete.

Anne Andres
Associate Librarian, Columbia Bible College
2940 Clearbrook Road, Abbotsford, B.C.
CANADA V2T 2Z8
Tel: (604) 853-3567 ext. 334
Fax (604) 853-3063