[OPEN-ILS-DEV] barcodes

Brandon W. Uhlman brandon.uhlman at bclibrary.ca
Tue Sep 15 04:00:55 EDT 2009

Hello, Raymond.

There is no functionality built in to Evergreen for either printing
barcodes, or autogenerating barcode numbers for new acquisitions.
Third party software exists to print barcodes, but most libraries have
barcodes professionally printed by vendors who specialize in barcode
printing.

I noticed YPOW is located in Minnesota. A Google search for 'barcode
printers minnesota' came across at least one such company, Symbology
(symbology.com), located in Minneapolis. I've never had any dealings
with them, so I can't comment on the company other than to say that
most libraries turn to companies like them to get professionally
printed barcodes. A local public or college library may also be able
to point you to a vendor with whom they have experience.

In Evergreen, both patron and item barcodes are stored as strings, so
there is no practical limit to the format of your barcodes, other than
the ability of your scanner to read them. Most libraries use 14-digit
barcodes encoded using the Codabar symbology, where patron barcodes
begin with 2, item barcodes with 3, and the next four digits are
uniquely assigned to individual libraries by a coordinating agency. In
Minnesota, MINITEX appears to be that coordinating agency
[http://nslc.pbworks.com/Barcode-Short+Site+Names]. Hopefully, they
will be able to provide you with more information.

Good luck!

Brandon

Quoting Raymond Norton <admin at lctn.org>:

> I am familiarizing myself with how to properly setup a production
> evergreen server. I know nothing about producing barcodes for patrons
> and books. Are the barcodes produced via a third party software, or
> somewhere within evergreen? Is there a standard that must be adhered to
> so evergreen can utilize the barcodes, if they are produced via a third
> party?

Brandon W. Uhlman, Systems Consultant
Public Library Services Branch
British Columbia Ministry of Education