[OPEN-ILS-DEV] importing records

Ian Bays ian.bays at ptfs-europe.com
Wed Sep 16 09:55:09 EDT 2009

Raymond,
I am sure there are data vendors who will happily sell you records, but if
your collection is likely to reasonably match other publicly accessible
catalogues you might consider firing a file of ISBNs through the free
MarcEdit software to a Z39.50 target of your choice.

If your collection is modern then you should be able to collect the ISBNs
either from your data or barcode scanning and in worst case typing them in.
Must be easier than typing titles in accurately!

The MarcEdit tool can easily be set up to point to a Z39.50 target and run
in batch mode with the file.  The challenge is finding the "right" target
(similar material, with Z39.50 interface that works and won't mind you
cloning their records).  I think there is an open catalogue at biblios.net
or similar which is set up to be shared (others feel free to chip in here).

You set it running and wait for the results.  You can use MarcEdit to break,
view, edit and remake the ISO2709 file.  I had to remove holding tags from
some records I harvested recently.

Then use your normal method of overlaying the MARC records on your
catalogue...

Good luck.

Ian
PTFS Europe