[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Bug reporting

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Sep 22 13:44:34 EDT 2009

Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> writes:

> I disagree with this suggestion. As the number of support vendors
> grows, I think it becomes more important to have bug reporting
> centrally and openly visible, rather than dividing the bug reports
> up between vendor support channels. Otherwise, there will be a
> duplication of effort on the part of testers and bug fixers - and
> some important but obscure bugs might be hidden that could otherwise
> be fixed by the community.  Reporting the problem to a vendor
> support channel as well is fine, but I believe the priority channel
> for bug reporting should be the dev mailing list (in lieu of any
> more formal openly accessible bug reporting systems).

I would tend to prefer a setup wherein there is a central bug database
(I hereby vote for Bugzilla), and site admins and whoever can file
bugs there and then either Cc their support people or tell them
something like, "Hey, I filed bug #414384 for an issue I'm having."

I realize that requires a little bit more knowledge of the open-source
process on the part of the users, as opposed to just calling their
support dude.  Hopefully most sites would have a tech guy who could at
least handle a basic bug report, but I suppose if a site doesn't have
such a person, their support provider could file on their behalf.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library