[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Re: 1.6RC1 - Acquistions - possible bugs

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Wed Sep 23 12:05:24 EDT 2009

Joe Atzberger <jatzberger at esilibrary.com> writes:

>           On that score, I think trac has the lead over bugzilla for
>      a couple reasons: * it's already set up * it's simpler * it
>      sits right on top of the authoritative source repo * it's much
>      MUCH easier to hack on if we need it to do more than the stock
>      version
>
> I boil that down to mostly inertia.

I would tend to agree.  Inertia keeps a lot of people using clearly
inferior software, not just for bug tracking but for everything, and I
think that's a shame.  I'm not saying Trac is inferior.  (The Trac
product that I'm familiar with, which our ILS vendor uses, is highly
inferior, but it's also proprietary, so it very well may not be the
same Trac we're talking about here.)  But I think it would be a shame
if "it's already set up" were the main reason for using it.

> Since you asked, Steve, for a fresh project, I'd take Bugzilla over
> Trac.  Installation is not a major hurdle,

Installation of Bugzilla is, in a word, simple.  Numerous orders of
magnitude easier than OpenSRF.

Just saying.

--
Nathan Eady