[OPEN-ILS-DEV] 1.6RC1: Vandelay imported Bibliographic MFHD Records do not show holdings part

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Sep 29 13:05:18 EDT 2009

Hi Repke:

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 17:27 +0200, Repke de Vries wrote:
> Dear all
>
> the same Evergreen DIG 1.6RC1 server as in my report on problems
> Importing Authority Records and getting them (not) available for
> validated cataloging (September 23; could anyone reproduce this
> problem?) but this time single bibliographic  MFHD record problems:
>
> Imported [1]:
>
> 1) the IISH Pravda MFHD record in Vandelay, checking the "Import
> Attached Holdings" checkbox but ignoring the "Holdings Import Profile" ;
> holding information does *not* show up:   http://screencast.com/t/
> 42ggXx4P

I haven't done much with Vandelay, but I think Vandelay's current
holdings import support extends only to monograph holdings that are
merged with the bibliographic record in a single MARC record. It
definitely doesn't support the import of serials MFHD records (whether
or not they're merged with the bibliographic record).

I'm reasonably sure that Vandelay doesn't support the import of holdings
from separate bibliographic records and MFHD records like you have with
the Pravda record. We need to improve our clarity about the limitations
of our current support.

To bulk load serials MFHD holdings, one would currently need to use the
marc2sre.pl script located in the Open-ILS/src/extras/import directory.

> Note that the screenshot  does show some signs of Evergreen trying to
> present Holding information: as far as I remember did that happen
> after hitting the "Add MFHD Record" ;  by the way:  this Evergreen
> installation does not have that 404 error  fixed when trying to use
> the "Edit Holdings" button

Hmm. The "PLACEHOLDER" is consistent with what should be there after
clicking "Add MFHD Record", but the 404 is unexpected. We definitely
need to look into that 404 error. Would you have access to the Apache
error log to find out what it was trying to load?

> 2) the IISH Brecht MFHD record  but this time checked the "Import
> Attached Holdings" *and* choose the "Evergreen 852 format .." as
> Profile (even though it mentions "Export");
> holding information does *not* show up: http://screencast.com/t/
> zeWfAMC67oYE
> 	Here I  didn't try anything further ;-)
>
> Something I am doing wrong with the Import ?  Something else the
> matter ?         Repke. IISH

To start with, this is probably the same problem as the Pravda record;
the MFHD records are separate, rather than merged with the bibliographic
record. In addition, the incoming attached holdings need to adhere to a
particular format; there are two default formats that are set up with
current installs, but you can customize those or add more formats. From
950.data.seed-values.sql, you can see the field and the subfields &
additional conditions that the particular attributes are drawn from:

INSERT INTO vandelay.import_item_attr_definition (
    owner, name, tag, owning_lib, circ_lib, location,
    call_number, circ_modifier, barcode, price, copy_number,
    circulate, ref, holdable, opac_visible, status
) VALUES (
    1,
    'Evergreen 852 export format',
    '852',
    '[@code = "b"][1]',
    '[@code = "b"][2]',
    'c',
    'j',
    'g',
    'p',
    'y',
    't',
    '[@code = "x" and text() = "circulating"]',
    '[@code = "x" and text() = "reference"]',
    '[@code = "x" and text() = "holdable"]',
    '[@code = "x" and text() = "visible"]',
    'z'
);

... so the "Evergreen 852 export format" expects to find the attributes
in the 852 field, with the owning library in the first subfield "b", the
circulating library in the second subfield "b", the shelving location in
the "c" subfield, the call number in the "j" subfield, etc. I think the
values of the controlled fields (libraries, locations, circ modifiers),
will also need to match existing definitions in Evergreen.

You can see that the "Unicorn import format" is a little simpler - for
example, it doesn't support a circulating library:

INSERT INTO vandelay.import_item_attr_definition (
    owner,
    name,
    tag,
    owning_lib,
    location,
    call_number,
    circ_modifier,
    barcode,
    price,
    status
) VALUES (
    1,
    'Unicorn Import format -- 999',
    '999',
    'm',
    'l',
    'a',
    't',
    'i',
    'p',
    'k'
);

> [1] the two files are here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~repke/Evergreen/

Thanks for the files - that definitely helps!