[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Business::ISBN Patch for public.translateisbn1013()

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Mon Aug 2 13:23:07 EDT 2010

Quoting Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net>:

> On 2 August 2010 09:01, Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mvlc.org> wrote:
>
>> I have tested it with two batches with a total of 19,999 bib records that
>> failed previously with the old version of the function.
>
> Could you provide a small set of those test records where the input
> ISBN fails? This would be useful for comparing expected

How many records do you want? I can immediately identify 8 that are
known to fail with the old function implementation.

>> Some notes about the implementation:
>
> Some quick notes on Perl in general - you'll also want to add the "use
> strict;" and "use warnings;" pragmas to pretty much any Perl that you
> write; it's really helpful for avoiding syntax problems like eq vs. ==
> and similar gotchas.

I do that very often. However, I looked at a couple of example
functions in the Evergreen source and the ones that I looked at did
not use warnings or use strict, so I assumed it wasn't done in the
plperl functions.

> I also added comments so that others will know what we were aiming to
> do at some undefined point in the future, and added copyright
> statements acknowledging your original work and my own modifications
> to it.

I didn't see any comments in the examples that I looked at, so I
didn't add any.

> Let me know what you think; I believe we're headed in the right direction.

I am fine with your changes. Most of them are things that I would have
done if I wasn't just trying to duplicate the existing method's output.

I have some running right now that failed because of the old method.
I'll load your version of public.translateisbn1013() and see what
happens.

Cheers,
Jason