[OPEN-ILS-DEV] JSON: retire old parser?

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Fri Aug 13 12:32:49 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 10:30 -0400, Bill Erickson wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Scott McKellar <mck9 at swbell.net>

<snip>

>  > These are the options I see
> >
> > 1. Evergreen 2.0 uses OpenSRF 1.4 (chunking, parser removal, and
> > possibly net-server gutting go into 1.6)
> >
> > 2. Evergreen 2.0 uses OpenSRF 1.6 (w/ chunking)
> >
> > 3. Evergreen 2.0 uses OpenSRF 1.6 (w/ chunking and removal of dead
> > JSON parser)
>
> I'm in favour of the last option. I'm not sure that OpenSRF 1.4 has even
> seen any sustained use in real-life situations since I cut the 1.4.0
> release, so going with 1.4 could actually be riskier than going with 1.6
> (where we have at least been running it in development).

Good point about 1.4.  #3 works for me.

> Getting further out on the limb - were there any results from the Perl
> pre-forking server experiment
> (http://markmail.org/thread/5wgupxajv7625yme )? Jason Stephenson had
> offered to test it out, but I haven't heard any reports back from him or
> anyone else. I would be really interested in seeing that get into
> OpenSRF.

I've been running the pre-forking code in my development environment since
its inception and it's working well for me.  I have made 1 change to the
code since the patch was posted on the list.  I'll send an updated patch
shortly for anyone interested in testing before merging.

> For the risk-averse, we could branch 1.6 after the removal of
> the dead JSON parser and immediately check the Perl pre-forker into
> trunk.

+1

-b

--