[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen 2.0 branch / Alpha 1 release

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Wed Aug 18 09:19:10 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I believe the time has come to give 2.0 its own development branch in the
Evergreen repository.  The serials merge from last week (special thanks to
Dan Wells and Lebbeous for that) was the last big hurdle.  The purpose of
the branch is to give 2.0 a safe place to solidify while more experimental
features continue to stream into trunk.  In addition, I'd like to propose
that we cut a 2.0.0 Alpha release for community review and feedback.  It
will have some rough edges, of course, but I think it will be nice to get
eyes on the software.

These are some tasks that come to mind.  I'm not the release guru, though,
so I'm mainly listing these for clarity.  We can change to suit:

* Create the rel_2_0 parent branch.  FWIW, I don't see a strong need to
create the rel_2_0_0 branch just yet, since it will be equivalent to rel_2_0
until we cut the 2.0.0.x release.
* Create a rel_2_0_0_alpha1 tag, from which the first Alpha release will be
generated.
* Create a 2.0.0 Alpha 1 installation bundle and staff client build
* Create the OpenSRF rel_1_6 branch / cut OpenSRF 1.6.0 (as previously
discussed)

The first three points assume we maintain the current branch/tag/release
naming scheme.  There have been discussions, primarily in IRC, about moving
to a 3-part naming scheme, like OpenSRF (e.g. the release would be called
Evergreen 2.0.0 instead of 2.0.0.0).  Is this still up for debate?  If so,
the alpha testing phase is the time to decide either way, since the next
planet alignment occurs at 3.0.  (I'm not suggesting we suspend the Alpha to
debate this, just that we put it to bed before the first 2.0 release is
cut).

We are investigating the construction of a 1.6.1.x to 2.0 SQL upgrade
script.  It will be.. fun, I'm sure ;)  I can't promise we'll have anything
this week.  Is testing the 1.6.1.x -> 2.0 SQL upgrade critical for the first
alpha cut?  I'm thinking no.

Assuming general agreement on these points, I'd like to aim for having an
alpha release or, at minimum, the branching and tagging, done by the end of
this week.

Thoughts?

-b

--