[OPEN-ILS-DEV] particular areas of mystery from action item at last community meeting

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Wed Dec 8 10:07:46 EST 2010

Some documentation areas of mystery or areas needing enhancement:

Reports section needs improvement: – The Reports Task Force brought it to our attention that the section should be enhanced or improved. I replied by asking the  Reports Task Force if they could take a big role in the reports section by enhancing the documentation directly in the repository or proving some documentation in other formats given that the greatest amount of reports expertise is on the task  force. Moreover, some folks on the task force are also on the DIG.

Limits of vandelay (staff client importer): I was wondering if there are any general guidelines we can provide for how many records vandelay can import at one time to help users decide the size of MARC files to divide there records into or to decide when to use optional external scripted approaches. I understand that some of the vadelay limits are dictated by system capacity etc, but general guidelines would be great and require feedback from developers or very experienced users of the staff client importer.

Importing Authority Records: Again, providing guidelines for Vandelay would be nice here. Also, an up-to-date best method using an external approach would be great.

Permissions Descriptions: Jenny brought up the need for better permission descriptions in Evergreen in the documentation.  This is essential. I believe the starting point is to update the permission.perm_list database table in Evergreen to include more descriptions since some description fields are blank. Once the description fields are updated in the base Evergreen database, the DIG could develop a script to generate an up-to-date permissions list based on the table to add to the documentation.

There was also the case of missing permissions which were left out of the perm_list table but are applicable in 1.6.1? Could we get a complete list of these to add to the documentation? We will try to add the procedures to activate these.

Adding languages in 1.6.1: To encourage international growth for Evergreen, we need a step by step procedure for adding a new language which do not currently exist and define which languages are supportable (e.g. right-to-left issues language issues).