[OPEN-ILS-DEV] OpenLibrary book covers

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Dec 20 15:01:18 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 02:06:45PM -0500, Duimovich, George wrote:
> Robert (or others),
>
> On another note, I vaguely recall seeing some discussion about moving to OL for the default covers provider.  Any thoughts on how well it compares to the current default provider (Amazon) in providing cover art?

OpenLibrary has pretty impressive coverage, although I haven't compared
directly with Amazon. And it is the default added content provider in
trunk (it provides tables of content when possible along with book
covers, so it really is an added content provider).

> From: Soulliere, Robert
> I was curious as to why the OpenLibrary book cover perl module (/perl5/OpenOLS/WWW/AddedContent/OpenLibrary.pm) is not included in the 1.6 version of the evergreen download or in the repository for the 1.6 branches? It is in Trunk and the 2.0 branch.

It looks like I never followed through on my proposal to backport it
back in July 2009: http://markmail.org/message/i7eubxionmhroqch and
until now nobody has raised it as an issue since then.

As a new feature (despite my good intentions from last year), it
should only go into rel_1_6 and wait for a new release (1.6.3.x, which
seems really unlikely). Is it still worth it?