[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Alternate Serials Control

Lebbeous Fogle-Weekley lebbeous at esilibrary.com
Tue Dec 21 11:48:34 EST 2010

On 12/21/2010 09:23 AM, Duimovich, George wrote:

> Any particular reason for the use of "Alternate" -- can we not just call
> it "Serials Control" interface? After all, I take it that this is where
> all things serial will be further developed.

Well, that's not necessarily the case. There's already a different set
of interfaces labeled, "Serial Control View" developed by Dan Wells.

Dan's interfaces take a different approach, and in particular they aim
to support the grouping of received items into bound units with a high
degree of freedom for the user to bind in whatever way works for his or
her institution's policy and practice.  That's my characterization of
Dan's intent, of course, and I should let him correct, expand and
clarify his goals.  It's not /all/ about the binding.

Dan and I have work to do to figure out whether and how to reconcile our
differing interfaces and to get the most powerful, useful serials module
to cohere nicely into an easy-to-use interface.  That may be a  long
road, we're definitely talking about unspecified future versions here.
Policies, practices and expectations for serials management seem to vary
very widely.

Then there's also a little bit of a "legacy" Serials interface to
consider as well, that is focused relatively narrowly on MFHD-defined
holdings, but no subscription or copy-level information.  Yet another
wrinkle to consider.

--
Lebbeous