[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Crawling Evergreen via SuperCat + Performance

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Tue Feb 2 11:30:17 EST 2010

Hello,

We have a small proof of concept project going forward in which our departmental search team will be crawling our records via one or another SuperCat formats. These will be indexed in our department's Autonomy search engine and reported upon for feasibility, issues, etc. in regards to integration with our so-called "Knowledge search gateway"  The intent is for the library catalogue to be another "source" that can be searched upon alongside our Intranet (web), internal blogs, and wikis, etc..

I'll be suggesting they can crawl basically anytime as long as they are reasonably throttled if they work during business hours; however, since this will be new for us, I'd also like to schedule a crawl under "dragster" type conditions and obtain some metrics from some of the various crawl attempts. (e.g. at what crawl rate does our server start to sweat, etc.)

My question: I'll ask our search guy to keep some stats but also wonder what are the best or recommended ways for monitoring performance metrics under crawl conditions from the EG server side of things. We can get some start/end times from the logs and draw some conclusions that way, but any other advice would be helpful too.

Thanks,

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan