[OPEN-ILS-DEV] advice for hardware platform

Daniël Kollmer dko at iisg.nl
Wed Feb 10 11:22:39 EST 2010

Hello everyone

Well, since January we have the definitive GO! to implement Evergreen/Conifer as our ILS here at the IISG.
That means I will have to design and install a hardware platform to run it on.
Concerning that I would like to ask for some advice of you guys who have been running it for some time.

Basically I wanted to build it up around a rather powerful dedicated server (dual quad core cpu, fast raid, 4gb memory). I have seen the schema that Laurentian uses for their setup, so I have also considered splitting off the database to run on a separate server, and the web frontend/staff client frontend too.

Here we are working with about 2mill records. Would that already merit a separate dedicated database machine to gain performance? Is loadbalancing of database queries something you all consider adviseable? Does it make sense to use a separate web frontend performance-wise ... and so on

Whatever tips and experiences you might like to share, I would definitely be interested in them.

Greetings from the still very uncharacteristically wintery Netherlands

Daniel