[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Enabling UTF8 data in SIP2 (patch and RFC)

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Jan 4 22:13:23 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 21:18 -0500, Mike Rylander wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > So -- if I uncomment those two lines in OpenILS::SIP::clean_text() so
> > that the combining characters are stripped by default, would you find
> > this patch acceptable?
> >

> Making the encoding a config file option (SIPServer.pm config, that
> is) and checking that inside O::S::clean_text(), defaulting to
> encode('ascii',$text) or the NFD()+s/\pM+//go, seems like it would be
> the most complete thing to do.  Is that reasonably doable?

Yep, that's doable. To be clear about the SIPServer.pm config, you mean
a new element in
acsconfig/institutions/institution/implementation_config/ -- say,
<encoding> -- in OpenSRF/examples/oils_sip.xml.example, with "ascii" as
the default and "utf-8" as a commented out option?

The hard part is that we don't have any extra SIP client hardware, so
our production unit is also our testing platform. (Tiny violins, I
know). It just means that I have limited time to put into testing the
code because while I'm testing I'm depriving our patrons of the pleasure
of using the system :)

Thanks Mike, David, and Joe for your feedback!