[OPEN-ILS-DEV] NCIP

Eric Lease Morgan eric_morgan at infomotions.com
Tue Jan 19 21:33:55 EST 2010

>>> Anyone working on connectivity to evergreen item status via the NCIP
>>> protocol?
>>
>> The folks at the eXtensible Catalog (XC) may have something to offer:
>>
>>  http://code.google.com/p/xcnciptoolkit/
>
> The code appears to be Java. It also appears that there is a "drivers"
> directory called ilsinterface which has entries for iii, voyager and
> aleph. Seems like a useful thing to do would be to add an interface
> for evergreen.

Yes, this is exactly correct. The Toolkit is written in Java, and it is designed to be configured for various ILS implementations through "drivers". Here at Notre Dame we I believe we implemented an Ex Libris Aleph driver by exploiting the REST-like interface to Aleph authentication and circulation modules. Java maybe necessary to interface between the Toolkit and your ILS, but I'm not certain. Fortunately, once an Evergreen driver is written, just about anybody could use it, especially if the driver sported an external configuration file. Very useful.

What's cool about the XC NCIP Toolkit is the REST-like interface on the other side. Send a query to the Toolkit as an action-packed URL. The Toolkit does its NCIP magic against your ILS, and returns a stream of XML goodness.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University of Notre Dame